Green Energy Working Group
The Green Energy Working Group of the Green Party of Allegheny County investigates issues relating to clean energy, including opposing nuclear energy and fossil fuel development. The working group then presents its findings and recommendations to the GPOAC General Assembly for further action by the entire party.
Above: GPOAC members pose with the Greens Japan flag in solidarity with efforts to address the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
Letters to United Nations, International Olympic Committee, and other organizations
Please see this 2013 Letter from Helen Caldicott and others to Ban Ki moon, UN General Secretary regarding the Fukushima nuclear disaster. This letter was developed by Physicians for Social Responsibility and includes medical and science background on the dangers of Fukushima, and urges a plan of action.
The Green Party of the US adopted Proposal 940 in 2018 to circulate open letters to the UN and IOC calling on the international community to assist Japan in addressing the Fukushima disaster and moving the location of the Olympics if necessary. This proposal was developed by the Green Party of Pennsylvania, particularly by the efforts of our local GPOAC member Tom Bailey. The open letters and original research are available below:
- 2018-12-18 -- Letter to IOC and IOC Athletes' Commission
- 2019-01-11 -- Background Research Document meant for general public reading
- 2019-01-20 -- Letter to Ambassador King, President of UN Economic and Social Council
- 2019-01-21 -- Executive Summary for Letter to Ambassador King
- 2019-02-14 -- Response from IOC
- 2019-02-15 -- Reponse from Tom Bailey regarding IOC's Reply
- 2019-03-11 -- Greens Japan (Japan Green Party) Statement, sent to GPUS National Committee
- 2019-12-30 -- Status report letter to US Greens, with information from Japan Greens
In July 2019, GPOAC member Tom Bailey visited Japan and was able to get a driving tour with a local journalist around the Fukushima Daiichi Exclusion Zone.
Ikuko Hebiishi from the Japan Greens speaks in the video on the left about the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster and how it has affected her home of Kooriyama in Fukushima Prefecture, where she was recently re-elected in Summer 2019 as a Kooriyama City Council Member. This statement was recorded in March 2019 partly in response to Green Party of the US's efforts to call attention to the Fukushima disaster. The GPUS statement was proposed by the Green Party of Pennsylvania and in particular came from the efforts of our local GPOAC member Tom Bailey.
Nuclear Energy Bailouts
At the left is a video about proposed nuclear energy bailouts.